Welcome to my world - a blend of passion, taste, and old-world traditions.

Benvenuti nel mio mondo - un mischio di passione, gusto e vecchie tradizioni.

Monday, August 15, 2016

A Bountiful Harvest from Our Vegetable Garden

We are celebrating this year’s bountiful vegetable crop thanks to a glorious early summer here in the North East.

Pears - Pere


All photos - Copyright - ©2016 - La Casa e Il Giardino

Yes, it required some workseeding, planting, mulching, fertilizing, watering and weeding.
Swisschard









Cabbage





Some plants required special attention - 

Pole beans

Tomatoes on the vine



....keeping an eye on the pests






such as staking up the tomato and bean vines  














Eggplants


........but look at the harvest

Cucumbers

Dandelions
Jersey tomatoes


Italian flat beans




In my opinion, eating vegetables that you have grown yourself is an experience everyone should enjoy. They taste so much better than anything you can buy in a grocery store. 
  

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you completely. Your garden is beautiful. Those cabbages!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MimiTabby - Thank you. Those cabbages are perfect for the cooler days. My favorite - cabbage and brown rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your garden, I too hve cabbages but this was my first time and I did not thin them when they we young so there are on top of each other I may get one good one, but next time it will be better. How long did it take for you swisschard to grow to that size mine were started from seeds in Sept 2011 and are still very small then again I am in zone 9 and this Arizona weather can be brutal during the summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. We live in the northeast. We start with seeds in a little greenhouse mid-April. We then transplant the seedlings. Swisschard reaches that size end of June - early July. My recipe swisschard and potatoes. Happy gardening.

      Delete